Click Here for the 2019 Debate Workshop Brochure
Our fee is one of the lowest of any national workshop
the Policy Debate Workshop
The Baylor Debate Policy
Workshop emphasizes research and skill development on the NSDA/UIL policy debate resolution for the upcoming season.
- Labs and lectures are offered on the novice, intermediate, and championship levels.
are given by our highly experienced workshop staff with decades of experience in the debate activity.
- Baylor’s low student-faculty ratio (10:1) allows the opportunity for extensive one on one interaction with
our outstanding teaching staff.
- Students at the workshop can research in Baylor’s world-class
library, and have easy access to the best electronic research available. In addition, students will receive complimentary
access to AirBear, for conducting wireless research and for paperless debate practice!
practice sessions equip students with the experience necessary to improve their in round debating skills.
About the Lincoln-Douglas Debate Workshop
The Lincoln-Douglas Debate Workshop provides the student an intensive, skill-specific experience on the upcoming
high school Lincoln-Douglas debate topic. We have created a format uniquely ours for teaching value debating to high school
students. The Lincoln-Douglas section will be an independent workshop, featuring instruction in philosopny, value debate strategy
and tactics, persuasion and public speaking skills.
- Our theory lectures are given by reputable
debate theorists who have published articles in scholarly journals and have attended numerous conferences on argumentation
- Each student will participate in practice debates to enhance his or her debate skills.
- Classes are offered in the novice, intermediate, and championship levels.
- The Baylor
Debate Workshop offers the most extensive library material specific to the upcoming topic.
Date: July 14-20, 2019
One initial fee covers ALL costs of the workshop. There are NO hidden lab fees. Price includes:
- Baylor Briefs and Communican debate handbooks (policy) or Value Debate Handbook (Lincoln-Douglas)
of Topic Briefs (this allows us to begin practice debates immediately)
** Discounted rates for commuter
students are available.
Outstanding Debate Instruction
Baylor has created a unique camp format
for teaching policy debate to high school students. The goal of the policy workshop is to offer instruction in the traditional
style of policy debate, intended to provide an in-depth understanding of the national topic. While some attention will be
given to "critical arguments" -- especially to answering these arguments -- the focus will be on traditional debate
practices in UIL and TFA circuits.
- Students receive instruction appropriate to their level
- Special instruction will be offered in researching policy propositions.
- All students will participate in no less than four fully critiqued debates, adjudicated by our workshop faculty and/or
special guest critics
- Students will receive extensive training in how to improve their own speaking
abilities and how to get a competitive edge against their opponents.
- Intensive practice sessions
will provide the experience necessary to improve in-round debating skills.
2019 Workshop Information Letter
Click Here to Apply for the Baylor Summer Debate Workshop 2019
IMPORTANT NOTE: When you register, you will be given an option to pay for cancellation insurance.
This is an option that we regard as unnecessary for our students, but it is a Baylor University policy that it be offered
for all Summer programs on the campus. When you see the option to pay $76.92 for this "cancellation" insurance,
please be aware that we do not recommend it for our students. You can read our own cancellation policy by clicking the link
above labeled "2019 Workshop Information Letter." The "cancellation" insurance policy is expensive and
only covers you if you cancel for very limited reasons.
Baylor Debaters' Workshop/Baylor University
One Bear Place # 97368
Waco, Texas 76798-7368
Phone: (254) 744-2443